Are you one of those people who think that spinach (or any other veggie for that matter) can’t taste good unless smothered in cream and cheese?? (I mean, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it kinda defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?)
Well, leave it to us Spaniards to prove you wrong. I’m serious! We can actually make eating spinach fun and enjoyable (as we do with pretty much everything else)… and guilt free. Don’t believe me?? Watch…
Espinacas a la catalana – Spinach with Pine Nuts and Raisins
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1/3 cup pine nuts
– 3 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
– 1 cup raisins
– 2 lbs fresh baby spinach*
– Zest of 1 lemon
– Salt to taste
1) In a large skillet, sauté pine nuts in olive oil at medium heat until they start to brown
2) Turn heat to low, add garlic and cook for about a minute.
3) Add raisins and let them cook for 2-3 minutes. Set a side
4) On the same skillet, sauté spinach at medium heat until it starts to wilt. Add salt to taste.
5) Add reserved pine nuts and raisins and lemon zest, and cook until all the liquid from the spinach has evaporated.
*You can substitute frozen spinach for fresh, making sure you squeeze most of the water out before cooking.