I wish you guys could be inside my head right now. Well, not literally. But I wish I could somehow explain to you how I feel right this moment. To me, comfort food isn’t just about the food itself. It’s about how it makes you feel. It’s about the memories.
We just finished making a batch of this desert and the smell in the kitchen is out of this world. But that, is just a bonus.
All I can think about right now is how we used to share this with our sister and our mom when we were kids (yes, we all shared one tiny dessert). How we used to “fight” over the last piece of burnt sugar on the top. And how our dad used to watch us with a grin on his face. And that, right there, is a feeling that cannot be explained, only experienced. And it is priceless
- 4 cups UNSWEETENED almond milk
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 lemon rind
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat up almond milk, cinnamon stick and lemon rind together in a pot at medium heat until bubbles start to form on the sides.
- In the mean time, in medium bowl beat eggs yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Add corn starch and keep beating for another minute or so.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon rind from milk. Slowly add about ½ cup of warm milk to the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Add the rest of the milk and stir until well incorporated.
- Return mixture to stove and cook at medium to low heat, until it thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon (do not let it boil)
- Pour into ramekins, let it cool and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle each ramekin with sugar and caramelize using a torch or oven broiler.
- ENJOY! FROM May I have that recipe