Wait, baked omelette? Isn’t that called a frittata? Well, yeah… you can call it that if you want, we won’t hold it against you. But in Spain, any “beaten egg” dish, no matter how is cooked, is called “tortilla”, which translates to, omelette.
Now that we got that little technicality out of the way, check out this recipe. Eggs, cheese and zucchini. Easy, simple and delicious. What else can you ask for? Add some crunchy whole grain bread, a cucumber and tomato salad on the side and voilà! Dinner is served!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Ingredients (yields 5 servings)
- 5 large zucchini, shredded
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper (any kind)
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded low fat munster cheese or Feta Cheese for a stronger flavor
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven at 350F. Generously coat the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spay
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add shredded zucchini.
- Add salt and pepper
- Cook at medium heat until zucchini has softened and all the liquid released has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg whites. Add a pinch of salt.
- Add cooled zucchini and grated cheeses and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- ENJOY!!! From May I have that recipe