I’m sitting here at my favorite coffee shop ( or my “office” as some of my friends call it), preparing our next post for the blog. And despite the caffeinated air and the sweet smell of freshly ground coffee, the inspiration is not coming. It just isn’t there. Writer’s block, except, I’m not really a writer.
I think in my case it’s called “impatience”. Impatience because I’m also here waiting for my friend Callie to join me for some way overdue girl time. Nothing fancy, just coffee and good conversation, but I’m really looking forward to it.
Callie and I met a few years ago at work. Like me, she is not from around here. Like me, she’s away from her family, away from her friends, away from home. Of all the things we have in common, that might be the one that pulls us together the most. We often talk about how challenging leaving family and friends is. Especially leaving our moms. Of course hers is just a few hours away, but still. No matter what the distance, she is not HERE. And that is something that never gets easier. But having someone around who can truly understand what that feels like, is something I’m very thankful for.
And I will leave you with that thought. Because here she comes. It’s girl time.
Enjoy your weekend,
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 large bunch of asparagus
- 5-6 scallions
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 6 small slices smoked salmon
- 1/2 lemon
- Chives for garnish
- Wash asparagus well. Discard ends and cut them into 2-inch pieces
- Slice scallions (white and light green parts)
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Add asparagus and scallions and cook at medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp water. Cover pan and continue cooking until the asparagus are tender.
- Add the eggs, mix them well together with the asparagus and scallions. Cook until done, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with toasted multigrain bread drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and smoked salmon. Garnish with lemon and chives.
- ENJOY! From May I have that recipe