artichoke hearts, carrots, celery, cooking, cooking blog, dijon mustard, fish, gluten free, healthy, honey mustard, kalamata olives, Kosher, may I have that recipe, mediterranean, parsley, Parve, recipes, shallots, tuna, video recipes
Wanna hear something scary? A couple of days ago, as I was on my way to Whole Food with my son, the brakes in my car decided to go on strike. I’m not kidding.
It’s not that they stopped working COMPLETELY (thank goodness!), but they weren’t working PROPERLY. And believe me, rush hour, on a main road with a six year old in the car… Enough to scare the life out of me.
Luckily someone up there was looking out for me, because when I noticed it, I was about 2 miles away from the Honda dealership. Phew…
So I pulled in, they took care of me right way, kept the car for the night and now it’s all good. Exciting story, isn’t it? Kinda?
Now, you’re probably asking yourself, what in the world does that story have to do with a tuna salad recipe?
I’ll tell you. Absolutely nothing.
It is a great recipe though. Super flavorful, light and fresh. And with no mayo. Now that, right there, is exciting. Almost as much as my story. Almost.
Have a great weekend.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients (yields 4 cups):
- 2 cans of water packed tuna fish
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 20 large kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1-12oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tsp diced hot cherry peppers (optional)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- In a small bowl, marinate diced shallots in water, vinegar, sugar and salt for about 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, prepare the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together Dijon and honey mustard and olive oil until well combined. Add salt, pepper and vinegar and mix well until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine tuna fish, carrots, celery, marinated shallots, olives, artichokes and capers.
- Add dressing and mix well.
- Add chopped parsley and hot cherry peppers if using. Toss it all well together.
- Serve with crackers, chips, in a sandwich with whole wheat bread, gluten free bread or even plain!
- ENJOY! From May I have that recipe