Blueberries. Another reason to love this time of year. You can find blueberry everything, everywhere. I love it!
Here’s an interesting fact for you: we don’t have blueberries in Spain (we do, however have refrigerators, TVs and cars in case you’re wondering… you’d be surprised how many times I’ve been asked that question!!!) Actually, I never had them until I moved to the US. Crazy, right?
I still remember the first time I went blueberry picking. It was right after I moved here. Vicky was away on a business trip and left me in charge of Raquel, who must have been 3 or 4 at the time. We went on a field trip with her school, and this Spanish city girl ended up covered in dirt and bugs, but had a blast!
That was one of our first aunt-niece bonding experiences and that bond has grown stronger and stronger over the years. She is now a very mature, smart, beautiful 16 year old that is very talented in the kitchen and shares my love for baking. We love to get together and come up with new (often crazy) desserts. And when she started the vegan challenge with Vicky, we decided we HAD TO come up with a great recipe for vegan dessert.
So we experimented a little bit and these blueberry-coconut muffins were the result. Super flavorful, moist and surprisingly light and fluffy!
And the best part of it, I got to hang out with my awesome niece.
- ¾ cup coconut oil, softened
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup coconut or almond milk (here we used Silk Pure Almond)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds ( we use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup blueberries + 1 tbsp flour
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven at 400F
2. Prepare a muffin pan with 12 liners
3. In a small bowl, combine ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp water. Set aside
4. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
6. Add coconut or almond milk and and flax seeds. Mix until well combined (the mixture will look curdled)
7. Add flour mixture and shredded coconut. Mix at low speed until just combined (do not overmix)
8. Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour