Have you ever met a foodie? I mean a real foodie. Someone who is really into food. Someone who enjoys every aspect of it, wants to learn everything about it, reads about it and is always looking for the perfect bite?
I have. My sister in law, Hope.
Hope has traveled all over the world and experienced all kinds of different cuisines. And even though she’s a vegetarian, I would say she’s also a pretty adventurous eater. Not only she loves ethnic food, she loves to cook it as well.
Watching her in the kitchen is a totally zen experience. Never rushed, always meticulous, and carefully selecting ingredients to achieve perfection. It’s like watching an artist in the process of creating a masterpiece, the perfect bite.
I love to see her in the kitchen with my daughter Raquel. The two of them together come up with the coolest dishes. A couple of weeks ago, I came home to a delicious pizza made with caramelized figs. A perfect combination of sweet and savory. So creative! You should have seen them enjoying their creation . They were both so proud of themselves. And rightfully so!
Inspired by that creative idea, we came up with this recipe. “Foodie approved” 🙂
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
- 1-16oz whole wheat thin pizza crust
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 green or black mission figs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ¼ cups baby arugula
- 4 medium size strawberries, sliced in half
- ¼ cup crumbled goat’s cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
In a small sauce pan, combine balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes until it reduces to about a half.
Set aside (it will thicken as it cools)
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Drizzle olive oil on pizza crust. Season with salt and pepper to taste
3. Bake for about 6-8 minutes
6. Turn them over, add balsamic vinegar and lemon juice and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes. Set aside. (Note: Don’t skip the lemon! It will keep the sugar from crystallizing)
7. Once the pizza crust is out of the oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top with baby arugula, caramelized figs, strawberries, feta and goat’s cheese. Season again with salt and pepper for extra flavor.
8. Bake at 400F for about 7 minutes, until the cheeses melt and the arugula starts to wilt.
9. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
10. Enjoy! From May I have that recipe