We got here about 5 days ago and we’ve been running around non stop, having a great time.
So we thought we would start sharing some of our amazing experience with you by bringing back a recipe that’s 100% Spain: one of the most popular “tapas”, “Tortilla de patatas”, Spanish potato omelet.
Hope you enjoy it!!
“… As soon as we got home from the airport, my mom had a whole lot of delicious dishes ready for us. And this one… definitely one of my favorites. THE very best take on eggs and potatoes: “tortilla de patatas”
Ok, I might be a little bias. Or a lot…
This potato omelet is one of the most popular dishes in Spain. And soooo versatile! We eat it for breakfast, in a sandwich for lunch, as “tapas” for dinner…. You name it. Every time I make it, it takes me right back home.
So if you feel like taking a little trip without leaving your kitchen, go ahead, get cooking! I guarantee it will be worth every second…”
Prep time: 5-7 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minute
Ingredients (serves 4; makes one large tortilla or 4 individual 5 1/2 inch tortillas):
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup of olive oil, divided
- Salt to taste
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into medium size, not too thick pieces. Slice the Spanish onion.
2. In a large skillet, heat 4 tbsp of olive oil.
3. Cook the potatoes and onions at medium heat, until soft and tender. Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and let them cool slightly.
7. Pour the egg / potato mixture and cook on one side, at medium-low heat, until the bottom starts to brown. If making individual tortillas, use 1 tbsp olive oil for each one and work with 1/4 of the mixture at a time.
8. Place a large plate or a lid on the skillet. Remove from heat and flip the skillet quickly, to turn the omelet around. Slowly slide the uncooked side onto the skillet and return to heat. (Note: Be very careful not to burn yourself while doing this. We recommend using oven mitts or a towel. However, if you do not feel comfortable flipping the omelet this way, place the skillet in the over and bake at 350F until set. Make sure you use an oven proof skillet!)
9. Prick to top of the omelet with a fork, to allow it to cook a little bit faster. Cook until eggs are no longer runny.
10. ENJOY! From May I have that recipe