A few weeks ago, Ruth and I drove down to Baltimore to attend Expo East, one of the largest tradeshows for the natural, organic and healthy living industry in the East Coast.
My sister had been there several times before, when she worked as a buyer for a large natural food retailer. So she thought it would be a good idea to go and check out new products and make some contacts.
It was my first time there so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I wasn’t sure if anyone would pay any attention to us or take time to talk to us. After all, we’re not “important” people, right? Just two sisters with a fairly new blog…
Well, it turns out, I was wrong.
We got to talk to lots of people, from big companies, small companies, old and new, and got a chance to make great contacts and learn about great new products.
One company in particular that caught our eye was “Simple Squares” a bar company fairly new on the market. With a gazillion bars out there, you can imagine how hard it would be to come up with something new and different, something “out of the box”… But Kimberly, the founder, did it. After chatting with her for a little bit we could definitely see the passion and love she has for her product. And we could taste it too! These sweet and savory whole food bars have only 5 ingredients, are raw, gluten and dairy free and really delicious.
We enjoyed Kimberly and her bars so much that she actually inspired us to create this recipe for savory granola. Just a tad sweet, a little spicy, and definitely different from your every day breakfast granola. Sort of like the Simply Squares bars J
Have a great weekend!
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 55 minutes
- Ingredients (makes approx. 2 cups):
- 1 cup rolled oats (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼ cup grape seed oil (or any other oil with neutral flavor)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raw pecans
- Preheat oven to 275F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, salt, coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne and ginger and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pumpkin seeds and pecans
- Pour oil and spice mixture over the oats, mixing well with a wooden spoon or with your hand, so the oats are well coated
- Spread the mixture in one even layer on prepared baking sheet and bake at 275F for 55 minutes until golden brown, stirring every 15-20 minutes so it bakes evenly
- Let it cool completely and store it in a cool, dry place.
ENJOY! From May I have that recipe