Isn’t fall just awesome? The slight chill in the air, the beautiful colors, the beginning of hockey season (oh, wait, scratch that), the feel of the holidays slowly approaching… I love it. I mean, what’s not to like, right?
And you know what else is awesome? Pumpkins.
Pumpkins are like the superhero of the veggie world. You can pretty much do anything with them: pick them, carve them, use them to decorate your front porch and of course, my favorite, eat them.
I don’t think there’s one single pumpkin dish I don’t like. Sweet, savory, you name it. If it looks, smells or tastes like pumpkin, I’m all over it.
So over the next few weeks we’ll be sharing some of our favorite recipes, but we wanna know… What’s YOUR favorite pumpkin dish and why?
I’ll start: I have to say… Naomi’s (Vicky’s mother in law) pumpkin pie. Because it was the very first one I ever tried and it brings back great memories of the first fall I ever spent here in the US. And Vicky’s pumpkin soup. Because it’s just awesome. As simple as that 🙂
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 40-45 minutes, plus 20 minutes to cool
- Ingredients (makes 8-10 servings):
- 2 cups sliced leaks
- 3-15 ounce cans of organic pumpkin puree (make sure it’s not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 3 medium gala or golden delicious apples, cored and quartered
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut in large cubes
- 4 cups of water or enough to just cover the vegetables and apples
- 2 tsp powdered vegetarian “chicken” flavor bouillon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ( or less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbs agave or maple syrup
- Savory granola for garnish
- In a large soup pot combine leeks, pumpkin, apples and sweet potatoes. Add enough water just to cover
- Bring to a boil. Add bouillon, salt and spices
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender
- Let the soup cool for at least 20 minutes . Puree in a blender, return to soup pot and add agave nectar or maple syrup. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes
- Garnish with savory granola right before serving