I’m absolutely convinced that Apple is out to get me. I’m serious. That’s the only explanation I have for what’s been happening to me lately.
Apple products are supposed to be fast, reliable and cool, right? Well then, how come my devices are the complete opposite of that?
My brand new iMac is slow as can be. My phone? Don’t even get me started with my phone. I got rid of the old one because it was doing all kinds of weird things (including receiving text messages from people who swore they never sent). And today, my brand new iPhone 5 just stopped playing music two minutes after I started teaching my Spinning class. I’m just waiting for Siri to start cursing at me for no reason one of these days… So much for speed, reliability and coolness! I mean, seriously, what’s up with that?
And the best part of all? I go to the Apple store and they tell me nothing’s wrong. Oh well. I guess I’m just crazy. And so are the other 15 people that witnessed it in class today…
But anyway… To all of you celebrating tomorrow, Happy Hanukkah!
The festival of lights and the celebration of miracles (exactly what would fix my Apple woes I guess…. ). And probably the only time of year you’ll hear me tell you to go ahead and eat fried foods 🙂
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Ingredients (makes about 15 latkes):
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 cups vegan sandwich spread (we use Earth Balance Mindful Mayo With Olive Oil)
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place grated potatoes in a colander with a bowl or plate underneath. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt on the potatoes and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes (the potatoes will release some liquid)
- Using a cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel, ring out excess moisture from the grated potatoes (make sure to squeeze out as much liquid as possible)
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, chopped cilantro and vegan sandwich spread and mix well until well combined with the potatoes. Using your hands, form about 15 small latkes
- Heat about 1/4 cup of oil in a non stick skillet skillet and drop about 5 latkes at a time. Cook at medium heat, 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat the process two more times, using 1/4 cup of oil each time.
- Place latkes on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy
ENJOY! From May I Have That Recipe